Tuesday, June 8, 2010

June 7th, 2010

They say that 1st impressions are always incorrect. I do hope they believe it as much as they like to say it..

June 7th; the first day of my internship. To tell you the truth, I was so eager for this day to come as I've been doing nothing for the past year. So I was filled with excitement and joy for this day would not only be the first day of my internship, but also the first day that I'll start putting my life back in order.

I was so excited that I didn't even slept the night before. And not just that, I was even still in UTP that very night. I left UTP at midnight, and went back to KL using the old 'Sg. Buloh - Lumut' road. I reached Kl around 5.30 in the morning - the same morning which I have to report duty at 8.30 a.m.. Hence the reason for me not to sleep that night. Haha.

So around 6.45, I went out to work. I've decided before to take the train all-through my internship period so I only had to drive to the Subang Jaya KTM station. But along the way, I don't understand why does God hate me so much. All the traffic lights were red.

Finally, I reached the station around 7.15, bought a ticket and waited for the train to come. And again, of all the days that God chose to hate me, He chose today. The train was delayed until 8.00.

But I was still in high spirits. My thoughts were still of that nothing would bring me down today. Oh how wrong was I.

So I boarded the train at 8.00, and it started moving. My stop was at KL Central. But exactly before the train reached KL Central, as a matter of fact, it was in between KL Central and the station before it, the train stopped. The damn train stopped for a whole 30 minutes. And it was already 8.30 by then.

My anger was starting to build-up, but I still kept my calm.

Finally, I got to KL Central around 9.00, and my journey was still halfway through - I still had to take the LRT.

But the LRT was much more decent. And the people on them were much more civilized. I am not certain how is that even possible. It was like a totally different universe all-together.

So in the end, I reached KLCC at 9.20. Every other intern has gone up to the briefing, and there were two guys from HR waiting for me (only me) at the lobby. Nice. Haha.

So the briefing was until 11.30 more or less and generally talked about behaviors, dress codes, code of conduct, and the usual first day briefing. Pretty much like any other briefing for any occasion.

Afterward, we were sent to our respective departments. Mine was the Petroleum Economics on level 24, Tower 2. I was in the same department with Kaber. Haha. The two black sheeps of UTP, and we were on the same department. And we were the only interns there.

But at the department, to our surprise, neither of our supervisors were there. They both took the day off. Haha. And the person in-charged with our arrival, the secretary, was also absent. Haha. Therefore, we were stuck in the same cubical for the rest of the day. An entire floor of working professionals, all doing multimillion dollars work at their own cubicle, and we were the only two beings on earth who had to share ours. Haha.

So we pretty much did nothing on the first day. Luckily I found a manual for a Wood Mackenzie Global Economics Model. So I wasted my time by reading the whole manual. Haha.

It was mostly instructions. The whole manual taught you directly how to use the software. Just imagine, it even describe in detail how to delete a file in windows. Haha. But it was very helpful, I would say, to those who really want to learn to use it. Unlike me, who was only trying to burn the candle by reading it.

We finished work at 5.00, and went to the cinemas first. And we watched Prince of Persia. It was the first time for Kaber, but the second for me. But it was still worth it.

So we went our separate ways afterward. I had to go back to KL Central to get the KTM train. But again, the world shits on me. I waited from 9.00 to 10.00. And finally there was the announcement that there would be only one coach for all four routes. WTF?? And my train to Subang Jaya was still in Sentul.

That was the final straw. I went out, and luckily I called my father about the same time I reached KL Central, and he said that he was somewhere near. So I asked him to pick me up there.

Went home, and sleep directly. Did nothing else.

-End of Entry-

0 comments: